Thursday 16 October 2014

Windows 8.1 100% Disk Usage / Overheating Solution - HP Pavilion g6 Laptop

(I use an HP Pavilion g6 Windows 8 Laptop) 

My Windows laptop was always slow, even out of the box. I recently discovered that it was using 100% of its hard drive capacity... i.e., it was reading and writing at 100% speed, all the time.... DRASTICALLY slowing down my machine's performance and causing heating issues as well.

To solve, I did the following

On Windows 8/8.1, First press ctrl+alt+del and go to Task Manager. In the "Performance" tab, see if any of your disc drives are at 100% usage all the time. 

If yes, go to WindowsKey+R and type 'services.msc'. Look for the services "Superfetch" and "Windows Search". 

For both these services, right click and go to "Properties". in the "General" tab, change the 'Startup Type' to 'Disabled' Note: this is NOT the same as stopping the service using right-click!!

That's it! After that, my windows machine has been a veritable speed demon.

No comments:

Post a Comment